Thursday, November 27, 2008

Guy Fawkes Day/Bonfire Night

Ah, Guy Fawkes Day.

Considering that this English holiday celebrates the 1605 plan to blow up the Houses of Parliament in protest to the Catholic king, I'm not surprised by any of what I saw, in retrospect. Rather than try to explain it all again, though, I'll just paste in my journal entry from the night and tack on a handful of videos from the night.

Turn your speakers up as loud as they'll go and you'll maybe experience half of the ridiculous amount and level of noise present in the streets that night. It was absolutely deafening. Crazy.



OGGIE OGGIE OGGIE!

OY! OY! OY!

“Remember, remember the fifth of November,
The gunpowder, treason and plot,
I know of no reason
Why the gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.”

Coolest English experience I've had to date. Surplus of videos to come. Here's my explanation of the night that I has with Megs over AIM.

how was Guy Fawkes celebrating?!

Fun!
COMPLETELY MENTAL.
The whole sky's rumbling right now still.
It's their fireworks night.
And literally bonfire.
HUGE BONFIRES.
They burn effigies of people.
And denounce Catholics.
And shout things like BURN THE POPE!
And BURN IT! BURN IT ALL!
It's really amusing.
And... confusing.
I don't think I'll ever get it more than I do now.
They have groups that go in costume...
All different Bonfire Societies, usually with a theme.
There are the Mongols, and pirates. Brass bands, a Trojan horse, Moorish dancers, Jedis with lightsabres. People in blackface, and people in blackface as African tribes, and people in Catholic pope/priest/holy wear, and Native Americans they a-a-a-a-a at, and WWII uniforms.
It's like the least Politically Correct event of all time.
They burn giant crosses, and big effigies of Guy Fawkes, as well as whomever they're malcontent with including Gordon Brown this year and the meter maids, George Bush the last.
OH. The most bizarre costume, in my opinion: UNION SOLDIERS from the American Civil War.
It was... yeah... I don't even know.
Really fun.
CRAZY FUN.
Barbarian fun!














No comments: