Thursday, November 27, 2008

Remembrance Day at Trafalgar Square

On the eleventh hour
Of the eleventh day
Of the eleventh month
The guns fell silent

This past 11 November was the 90th anniversary of the Armistice of WWI.

I spent my day that day travelling once again to London for the Two Minute Silence at Trafalgar Square. After the event, Katie and I paid a visit to the Imperial War Museum to see the newly opened WWI exhibition, In Memoriam.

Again, I'll just lift this update from my journal because there's little reason to change what I've said when I've already laid it out there.

Today was a beautifully sunny day in London. That alone is worth noting.




John Hurt reciting this remembrance poetry:
      Do Not Weep

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glint on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you wake in the morning hush,
I am the swift, uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft starlight at night.

Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there, I do not sleep.
Do not stand at my grave and cry.
I am not there, I did not die!

      --Mary Frye

This reading was followed by a public watching of the three remaining WWI veterans place wreaths at the tomb of the Unknown Soldier in England. Whilst the veterans looked on and reflected during the Two Minute Silence, the crowd in the Square was silent, too, watching one of the veterans refuse to let his helping servicemen lay his wreath as he felt it was important to try to do it himself. They followed this with The Last Post, the British and Commonwealth version of Taps, poignant and painful. They finished this all off with Amazing Grace sung by the Welsh Boys' Choir and placing paper poppies and dedicated poppy wreaths into the fountains at Trafalgar Square.







British Legionnaires in charge of The Poppy Appeal.


It was an amazing experience, even with the technical difficulties of the event, the religious-soaked messages of hope (rather than emphasizing non-biased views), and the very little sleep we got. It was truly memorable. I'm glad I went.



Unfortunately the Imperial War Museum's being cleaned/worked on so the façade is covered. Pity because it's absolutely beautiful. But still, look at those cannons!


The entrance is really spectacular. The floor is crowded with machinery from WWI and WWII: tanks, subs, buses, armoured cars, and planes above.


Independent from the museum, these patrons were kind enough to let me quickly photograph them. Nerdy historical costuming is the best kind.


Another great experience. It was really beautiful. I'll carry it with me for sure.

No comments: